Recipe type: Entree
- 2 lbs raw medium shrimp, deveined with tail on
- 2 tsp Sichuan peppercorns (optional)
- 1 cup red & green bell peppers, diced (instead of dried chili peppers)
- 1 chili pepper (optional)
- 4 tsp peeled & minced ginger
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp tangerine or orange juice
- 3 Tbsp peanut oil
- 10 narrow strips of tangerine or orange peel, 2 inches long
- 1⅓ cup cubed onion
- 8 scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- DO AHEAD: Heat wok, add peppercorns and dry-fry for 30 seconds till they swell and become fragrant. Remove & crush in a blender or mortar & pestle.
- Soak chili peppers for 15 minutes in warm water; drain. (OR, use diced bell peppers for milder heat.) Combine them with peppercorns and ginger.
- Combine the chili paste with garlic, hoisin & soy sauces, & juice. (This is the liquid mixture.)
- Re-heat wok, add 2 T. of peanut oil. Stir-fry shrimp till they turn pink; set aside in a warming pan. (don't overcook)
- Add remaining tablespoon of peanut oil to wok and stir-fry peppers, peppercorns and ginger 10 seconds; add peel, mix well. Add onion & scallions, stir-fry till hot. Add shrimp, mix well. Add liquid mixture, stir-fry till hot. Add vinegar & stir-fry briefly. Add sesame oil, mix and serve.
Recipe by Good Food Buzz at http://www.goodfoodbuzz.com/2012/06/21/tangerine-shrimp/