Dr. Hyman has listed ten simple steps to make your life better in his article Eating the Cure. The steps not only help you lose weight but will also get your system healthy! I want very much for every one to read these ten steps so I opted to put the whole list right here on my blog but if you would like to read the whole article, the link is in the title below.
Ten Simple Tips That Will Change Your Life by Dr. Mark Hyman
1. Eat real food. If it was grown on a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, avoid it. If it has a label stay away. As my grandmother said, “Buy fresh, eat fresh.”
2. Eat the rainbow. Colorful plant foods, the dark greens, blues, reds, oranges and yellows are all indicators of powerful plant compounds called phytonutrients that turn on anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, detoxifying genes.
3. Get an oil change. Most Americans are deficient in Omega-3 fats that make up 60% of your brain, prevent heart disease and diabetes and reduce inflammation. Eat sardines, wild salmon, but stay away from the mercury-laden tuna and swordfish.
4. Create the perfect plate. Fifty percent low starchy veggies like broccoli, asparagus, salad fixings, 25% gluten-free whole grain like brown rice or quinoa or starchy veggies like sweet potato.
5. Balance your blood sugar. Learn how to create the perfect plate (and meal) to keep your blood sugar even. Banish sugar from all forms for one month. Eating sugar and flour products spike insulin, the fat storage hormone, leading to belly fat.
6. Power up your day with protein. Protein for breakfast (whole Omega-3 eggs, protein shake, etc.) boosts your metabolism and builds muscle.
7. Don’t drink your calories. You don’t compensate for them by lowering your intake of solid food and they spike your insulin, too. That means sodas, juices and too much alcohol (more than one glass with dinner).
8. Beat the wheat. Wheat has taken over our food supply. Our modern dwarf wheat has a super starch (amylopectin A), super gluten and a super drug which makes you fat, inflamed and addicted. Two slices of whole wheat bread raise your blood sugar more than two tablespoons of table sugar. Give it up for the summer and watch your health transform.
9. Dump Dairy. For the summer (or just a month), give up “natures perfect food” (only if you are a calf!). It can cause digestive problems, sinus congestion, allergies, asthma, eczema, and even acne.
10. Nutrify your life. Take a good multi-vitamin and mineral, a fish oil capsule and vitamin D3 every day. Over 90% of Americans are deficient in one or more nutrients. And a multivitamin can even lengthen your teleomeres.