Wonderful aroma from this soup, you will love it when it’s on the stove cooking. The soup was perfect tonight, the rosemary, carrots and onions gave it a delicious taste!
Split Pea and Rosemary Soup
Author: Dr. Mark Hyman from his book The Blood Sugar Solution
Recipe type: Appetiser or Entree
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin-olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 1 cup green split peas, rinsed
- 6 cups water or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups fresh peas
- pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery and lightly sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the split peas and water or stock and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low and add the rosemary. Simmer until the split peas are tender, about 40 minutes. Add salt. Continue to cook until the beans are very tender. For a smoother soup, blend all or part of it. Add the fresh peas and simmer just until the peas are tender, about 5 minutes, being careful not to overcook. Adjust the salt, if needed and add pepper to taste.